Q: What is Firmware?
A: Firmware is software that is included in a piece of hardware which control how the CD/DVD recorder communicates with a software application.
Firmware is specific to a single CD/DVD recorder; it can not be applied to all CD/DVD drives.
Summary: This document will guide you through the process of determining what CD/DVD recorder you have and how to get updates for this device. There are 2 steps required to complete this task:
- Step One: Find CD/DVD Drive Model and Manufacturer information. If you already know the model/brand of CD/DVD recorder, you can skip this step and move onto Step Two.
- Step Two: Locate Updates for your CD/DVD Recorder.
Step One: Find CD/DVD Drive Model and Manufacturer information.
- Open “My Computer” by double clicking on the following icon -
-A list of CD/DVD drives will be listed under the heading “Devices with Removable Storage”
- Right-click on your CD/DVD Recorder and select properties.
-The System Properties window will appear. Click on the Hardware Tab to view installed drives on your machine.
-A list of all CD/DVD drives will appear.
- Locate the CD/DVD recorder on the system and take note of the model number:
-CD/DVD recorders will have the following icon àdisplayed next to it.
Step Two: Finding the Firmware version for your CD/DVD recorder:
1. Right click on MyComputer (Desktop or Start menu)
2. Select “Manage” from the right click menu
3. Select “Storage”
4. Select “Removable Storage”, then double-click “Libraries” on the right.
5. Right click on the applicable DVD RW/CD RW driveàSelect “Properties”
6. Go to the “Device Information” tab. “Revision” indicates the firmware version of your optical drive.
Step Three: Locating updates for your CD/DVD recorder:
Firmware is the most important update for a CD/DVD recorder. Updating a recorders firmware resolves the majority of common writing problems.
There are a few different ways to find available firmware updates for your CD/DVD recorder. Below are the most common:
- Check with your CD/DVD drive manufacturer for updates.
- Most hardware manufacturers provide updates on their website available for download. Go to the hardware manufacturer’s website and look for updates/firmware for your CD/DVD recorder.
- If you received your CD/DVD recorder with a purchase of a computer, check the computer manufacturer’s website for available updates.